Monday, June 09, 2008

Feeling punk

Mueller State Park, Colorado

We have been nursing our colds for the past few days. Being at the altitude of 9500 ft sure has slowed us down a lot. (For comparison, Denver is 5400 ft.) The weather yesterday was overcast and quite chilly; the high was 49 degrees. Sure wouldn't want to be dry camping here! We are very glad to have electricity, and between our heat pump and the propane heater we manage to keep warm -- dogs cuddled under lap blankets helps too!

We have not felt like going anywhere, except short walks with the dogs. Today the sun is shining and we enjoyed a slightly longer morning walk. Surprisingly, we have not suffered 'cabin fever' as much as I thought we might. I have done a lot of reading. One of my fears when we started out on this new traveling life was that I might run out of books, but that has not happened. A few friends have saved up books for me, and we often are at campgrounds that have book exchanges. If I am really feeling like I am getting low on books, we visit Goodwill stores where I have found some good ones. Books that I have enjoyed lately are "Angels in the Gloom" by Anne Perry, and re-reading "Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy - such lyrical prose. I am now reading Anna Quindlen's "Black and Blue" (very good) and then waiting for me are Patricia Cornwell and Dana Stabenow mysteries, and a collection of essays by Jacquelyn Mitchard, one of my favorite authors. In addition to reading, I enjoy Sudoku puzzles.

Doug passes the time by listening to music and playing with his Nintendo DS (not just for kids anymore with the advent of the 'Brain Age' games). I like to play Wordjong on the DS too. We have also watched a few movies on pay-per-view TV. Now that we are starting to feel better, we look forward to getting outside more and enjoying the fabulous mountain scenery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home