Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Altar Boyz" play

I took the three grandsons to see the Off-Broadway play "Altar Boyz" today at the Arvada Center. Grandpa elected to stay home and baby-sit the dogs. I was impressed with the Arvada Center. First thing we saw upon entering the building was a beautifully restored 1947 Indian motorcycle - an object of beauty if you appreciate that sort of thing, which we do. They were having a motorcycle exhibition in part of the building; we did not get to see all of it due to shortness of time. The Arvada Center is devoted to all of the fine arts and they have many educational programs for youth in addition to everything else. We saw limber young ballerinas lined up waiting to go in a room for practice. Art is everywhere - we passed many paintings and sculptures on our way to the main theatre area.

"Altar Boyz" is, to quote from the program, "a musical theatre piece staged as a live concert about a Catholic boy band -- a pulsating, humorous, unpretentious, heart-filled, blast". The touring company were all polished actors and singers. Music and choreography were lively - 'pulsating' describes it well. The characters were Matthew, Mark, Luke, Juan and Abraham. The script was very witty and funny even if one was not raised Catholic. The story line had a moral of acceptance for all, but it was not at all overbearing. A couple of the humorous references had my teenage grandsons snickering and probably wondering if Grandma "got it". (She did, and was laughing.)I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.


To get to the Arvada Center from Chatfield state park takes rather a long time. Arvada is a suburb north of Denver. Going out on highway C-470 was an easy, though lengthy shot. Coming back, we had to drop Brendan off at a birthday party, so I had to drive on I-70 and then I-25, not my favorite cup of tea. Traffic was all backed up on I-25, due to a big accident up ahead. For twenty minutes we averaged about 5 mph but at least we were moving. I have to say that Denver drivers were fairly courteous about letting me change lanes. Not sure if that is innate manners or the fact that I was driving a honkin' big truck with Texas plates. "Lila", our GPS device, also helped a lot. Glad to say I got the boys back safe and sound, and a good time was had by all.

Quote of the day:
"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." -- Mark Twain

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home